Welcome
Welcome to dhmementomori

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Case III: The Evil Inside (Team Slowpoke)

Previous Cases.

Re: Case III: The Evil Inside (Team Slowpoke)

Postby Claw » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:09 pm

Drago has no idea what's being displayed on the bulbous glass augury screens before the nearest Enginseer, as it looks like nothing more than grainy green snow falling across a slightly different coloured green background. But it's not simply Drago's technical shortcoming for once; apparently the Enginseer is no more clued in than you at the moment.

“Impossible. Objects beyond the bounds of the Gellar Field are distorted by the Warp; readings are considered unreliable and daemonically influenced. Only Navigators can see into the Warp. Interpretation is presented here; large explosion, debris, considerable daemonic reaction,” The Tech Priest drones as he shows Drago a long, thin piece of print sheet which is gushing from a hole beneath his console, “Consistent with complete Gellar Field failure and destruction of large vessel. Omnissiah be praised.”
Claw
GM

Postby inquisitor faust » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:59 am

'But the Ark itself exploded? You're certain it was completely destroyed? Have the navigator confirm.' Gregor's spirits rise visibly at the notion.

'Uh, Greg, let's not disturb the navigator, he's a bit busy right now.' Alphis gently reminds the chaplain.

'Yes, yes of course...' Gregor seems like he might collapse with some combination of relief and exhaustion. Still, he manages to stand a bit straighter. The chaplain makes the sign of the aquilla and offers prayer.

'Almighty God-Emperor, in this moment of triumph, we remember also the blessed martyrs whose sacrifices made this moment possible.

To you, we send the spirits of our fallen comrades from the Tajan Wolves and the armsmen of the Miles. Thank you for their strength and courage in the time of need, and we beseech you to guide their souls to their just reward for duty well done.

To your mercy we send the imprisoned victims of the here-teks that lurked aboard that forsaken vessel. Please grant them your peace, and an end to their torment.'

Gregor seems to give a moment of silence, but an astute listener might notice one more mentioned in a hushed whisper. 'And finally, receive the spirit of your servant Narrow, and our thanks for a reminder that your light can shine even in the most unlikely of places.'

Gregor gives a reverential bow. 'Gloriam Imperator In Excelsis, Et Protectivum Ad Populem Imperialis. Amen.'
Gregor Undhart ― WS: 31 BS: 28 Str: 31 T: 22 Ag: 35 Int: 28 Per: 40 WP: 40 Fel: 40 Ifl: 57
Wounds:14/14 Fate:3/5 Fatigue:1
equipment
Alphis Tunter WS: 26 BS: 40 Str: 27 T:30 Ag: 38 Int: 50 Per: 42 WP: 20 Fel: 26 Ifl: 36
Wounds: X/13 Fate: X/2 Fatigue:X
equipment
inquisitor faust
Player

Postby Librarian Astelan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:40 am

Lars follows the procedures on the bridge from a certain distance. It seems all a bit surreal to him when they were aboard of the hulk only minutes ago. It's only the sight of Weiss and his injuries that make him snap out of it.

'What the hell did he encounter that could bust him up so, when we encountered tyrannids, orks, ancient battleservitors and mutants. Perhaps this you should reconsider this line of work, Akira.'

When he receives the news that the Ark is destroyed, a persistent smile glides over the arbite's face. He joins Gregor in his prayer and proudly makes the sign of the Aquila.

'At least you didn't frag this up completely Akira. And you're alive to fight another day. The Emperor must truly look after you.'

Perhaps an outfashioned gesture he goes to shake hands with his comrades: A strong handshake with a serious nod to the Vostroyan veteran sergeant. His extended hand retracting, only to make the sign of the Omnissiah when he arrives at Gyges. A short but firm hand to Alphis "Seems your little contraption worked, old chap.", and finally,he extends his hand to Gregor. "Can't say I've agreed with you much this last day. But I remember you saved my life and for that I am grateful to you and the Emperor. More importantly, we fulfilled our mission objective which is definitely also thanks to you. I'd just wish you were a little bit more cautious while doing so."
WS: 25 | BS: 42 | S: 25 | T: 40 | Ag: 35 | Int: 35 | Per: 38 | WP: 30 | Fel: 40 | Ifl: 43

Wounds 13/13 | Fate 0/4
Goodwyn Boltgun 12/12 & Scrambler 12/12
Garm Boltpistol 8/8
Pugnatis Autopistol 18/18
Librarian Astelan
Player

Postby Photep » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:22 pm

"Praise Imperator." Drago replies as he makes the sign of the Aquila. "Thank you Enginseer. As you were."

Surely dey are all dead. Nothing could hav survived explosion while in transition. Yes, it must be.

He moves back through the crowd and walks up to the other acolytes. Drago accepts the handshake from the Arbites and returns an appreciative nod. "Mission accomplished. Well done everybody. If you will excuse me... I will now celebrate by take very long shower and sleep for week. Ne pozdneye komrads."

Once he gets back to his kit, Drago runs his fingers through his hair and puts his helmet back on his head but leaves the clasps unhooked. He swings the backpack and Sniper Rifle over his shoulders and finally picks up the borrowed Meltagun.

He looks at the Meltagun as he twists it around in front of him. For the first time he notices the blood spatters on the side which partially cover the Tajan Wolves regimental inscriptions. Drago looks back up and looks around the bridge to see if any of the Scions CO's are nearby.

"Sir. I think you should hav dis." he says as he finally recognizes one of the Tempestors and offers the Meltagun. "It belonged to one of your men. I used it to revenge his death. No man died in His service dat died in vain. I commend you and the Tajan Wolves, dey hav performed their duties admirably."

Drago offers the Tempestor a sharp salute before moving towards the exit of the bridge. As he wishes to only enjoy some well earned rest, he pulls the hood of his Chameleoline Cloak over his head and disappears in the crowd...

As the Vostroyan walks the long hallways of the Volatilis Miles, his thoughts go out on all the horrors experienced aboard the Ark. He closes his eyes for a moment. So tired...

At the center of the trench he can see the daemon staring at him again with burning blue eyes. The barbed wire cutting and piercing through his fallen comrades, lifting them up and making a mockery of the laws of gravity.

Are you pleased with yourself, sssssssergeant? You talk about bravery while ordering others to their deaths. Your masters were right to send you away. Abandon you. But perhaps we should thank you. After all... you do continue to supply usssss with more souls to feast on. Hahhahaahaaaaaaah!

The daemon slithers through the mud filled trench and closes in until their faces are only inches apart.

"Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Which side are you on? What else did dear Jacob hide from you?" it says with a mocking tone. The stench of death and decay heavy on it's breath.

Drago quickly opens his eyes again and finds himself lying in bed. Bathing in cold sweat, he turns on a lamp on a small metal night stand. His body aches as he pulls himself upright and stumbles towards a sink. He rests his hands on the cold metal and looks into the mirror. He closes in and looks into his own eyes in the half dark.

"Who are you?" he whispers to himself. Drago leans down and takes a sip of water from the tap. He lets some of the water run into his hands and splashes it into his face.

"Sergeant Drago Rumanovsky, 24th Vostroyan Firstborn Regiment."

"Service number Victor-Tango-52-355-Alpha-Delta-818."

He dries his face with a clean towel and looks back at the mirror. He frowns as he observes his reflection.

"And what are you?"

Drago throws the towel over an empty chair and growls "Royally fugged up beyond all repair."
Drago ― Hive World ― Imperial Guard ― Assassin
WS: 25 BS: 50 Str: 25 T: 30 Ag: 50 Int: 35 Per: 50 WP: 30 Fel: 25 Ifl: 46
Wounds: 13/13 Fate Points: 0/3 Insanity: 11 Corruption: 3
Equipment
Photep
Player

Postby Redemption » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:57 pm

"Consensus: Omnissiah be praised," Gyges echoes, after seeing the results of the team's sabotage on the augury readouts. While some part of him is disheartened by the loss of potentially priceless knowledge and artefacts, he has come to accept that the Ark was a conglomerate of mutant, xeno and heretek filth completely void of the Omnissiah's light. If there was anything still worth salvaging, the Orks would have most certainly defiled it. The destruction of the space hulk - and thus denying the xenos a powerful asset to lay waste to the sub-sector with - was undoubtedly the best course of action.

Gyges returns the Regulator's gesture and adds a curt bow. For all their differences, his fellow Acolytes have earned a great deal of respect in the eyes of the Tech-Priest. There is little doubt why Inquisitor Weiss has recruited them, as they have each proven to be very capable in their field, even is they are unaugmented. As he looks about the members of the team, Gyges is just about to get lost in introspection about his own performance. But when his quad-optics fixate on Gregor, his thoughts redirect to more urgent matters.

"Imperative: Chaplain Undhart, we should not delay your medicae care for too long. The stimulants I have administered into your system will only keep you going for a limited time span. Now that we have access to properly sterilized environments and equipment, I suggest we move to operate as soon as you feel ready. I am not certain of the availability of quality cybernetics aboard this vessel, but I am sure they will have something more suitable than our current improvisation."
Gyges Hekatonkheires ― Forge World ― Adeptus Mechanicus ― Chirurgeon (Equipment)
WS: 25 BS: 40 Str: 45 T: 40 Ag: 25 Int: 50 Per: 35 WP: 25 Fel: 20 Ifl: 45 IsP: 3 CP: 7
Wounds: 13/13 Fate Points: 4/4 Fatigue: 0
Redemption
Player

Postby inquisitor faust » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:36 am

Gregor accepts the Regulator's hand with a thin smile. 'I'm sure we will have plenty of occasions to argue again, Regulator. There is no sin in arguing for what you truly believe is best.'

At Gyges' reminder, he nods. 'Lead the way, Adept. Whatever we end up using, make sure it's not a peg. I'm a chaplain, not a pirate.' Gregor slowly hobbles off after the priest of Mars.

Alphis looks around, seeing most of the acolytes have departed to recuperate after the trials of the Ark. He eventually casts an eye towards the officers. He recalls the beginning of this marathon of violence and terror, sitting around a table in this very room drinking tea before warp transition.

'So... I dunno about the rest, but after all this I could really use a drink. You still got any of that tea? Or maybe something a little stronger?' The mechanic has a wide smile.
Gregor Undhart ― WS: 31 BS: 28 Str: 31 T: 22 Ag: 35 Int: 28 Per: 40 WP: 40 Fel: 40 Ifl: 57
Wounds:14/14 Fate:3/5 Fatigue:1
equipment
Alphis Tunter WS: 26 BS: 40 Str: 27 T:30 Ag: 38 Int: 50 Per: 42 WP: 20 Fel: 26 Ifl: 36
Wounds: X/13 Fate: X/2 Fatigue:X
equipment
inquisitor faust
Player

Postby Redemption » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:52 am

"Proposition: how would you feel about a tracked unit? They are far more robust." Gyges says as the duo heads off towards the medicae facilities, the emotionless voice making it hard to read for Gregor whether the Tech-Priest is serious or not.
Gyges Hekatonkheires ― Forge World ― Adeptus Mechanicus ― Chirurgeon (Equipment)
WS: 25 BS: 40 Str: 45 T: 40 Ag: 25 Int: 50 Per: 35 WP: 25 Fel: 20 Ifl: 45 IsP: 3 CP: 7
Wounds: 13/13 Fate Points: 4/4 Fatigue: 0
Redemption
Player

Postby Librarian Astelan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:09 am

Lars smiles, but it fades when Gyges intervenes.

"Good luck Gregor. Hope to see you well soon."

Next, he follows the example of the Vostroyan guardsman and leaves the bridge. However, Lars doesn't head for his own quarters or the common shower room. Instead, his feet lead him too the chapel of the Miles. With all hands about, the place is deserted. But a few candles are lit underneat the simple statue of the Emperor. Lars approaches the idol and kneels, putting his helmet beside him and laying his weapons before him. The first few minutes, he prays in silence, using the old words handed down by the Ecclesiarchy for thousands of years. The arbite obtains a certain peace of mind and lets his thoughts flow.

'It appears you have redeemed yourself. At least in the eyes of lord Weiss. And he is, after all, the Emperor's will made manifest. But in the eyes of you My Lord?'

Lars thinks back at his first encounter with the orks, but also at all the fights that came afterwards: the dangerous ride alongside the Ork train, the ambush of the lone genestealer at the hangar, the charge of the greenskins supported by the Killakhans, the teeming mass of genestealers, deep in the bowels of the ship, the ancient battle automata in Nomad's sphere... It seems like no end would come to the series of engagements. And he's ploughed his way through those. Still there is a nagging feeling at the back of Lars's head.

'But I fled before the greenskin tide in the valley just as I fled before the giant automaton. It appears you still lack courage, or the strength to face your foes Akira. You will have to do better in His eyes. It's up to you to preserve your fellow citizens and comrades in arms.'

Lars's face twitches when he thinks back at Gregor's attitude. Although he was more steadfast in the sight of the enemy, launching himself over de barricades during the Ork charge, or staying to the last when faced with a lictor and the automaton, he also was willing to sacrifice other, good men. It makes him sad to see that the missionary who railed against Weiss's decisions on Huygen, was so eager to throw away the lives of the naval armsmen and those of the Wolves.

'You must guide me, oh Lord. You must show me the way to strenghten my resolve and better my duty to You, Lead me on a path where I will grant Your protection to all your loyal subjects. Giving them all Your peace and security. Please help me to save them from the unclean and the heretical. This I ask of You and I trust You will answer.'

Lars remains kneeled, alone with his wishes and doubts. When hours later the priest of the chapel arrives, he finds the arbite sitting against one of the benches, sleeping a troubled sleep.
WS: 25 | BS: 42 | S: 25 | T: 40 | Ag: 35 | Int: 35 | Per: 38 | WP: 30 | Fel: 40 | Ifl: 43

Wounds 13/13 | Fate 0/4
Goodwyn Boltgun 12/12 & Scrambler 12/12
Garm Boltpistol 8/8
Pugnatis Autopistol 18/18
Librarian Astelan
Player

Postby Claw » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:44 pm

As the Naval crew and Acolytes succumb to their weariness, seeking what hard earned rest they can, a lone figure stands in the darkened bowels of the Volatilis Miles' sub-decks, far from prying eyes and possible interruptions. His towering form fills the long forgotten airlock, the ragged tails of his sweeping overcoat trailing along the deck behind him as reaches his lone hand up to his broad collar, unpinning the humble rosette which is affixed there.

There is no hesitation as he brings the tiny rosette towards the control panel, activating the hidden Machine Spirit within the gem encrusted pin. The airlock responds obediently to its presence, releasing the control lockdown as his fingers dance over the rune panel, powering up the mechanism on the tiny porthole built into the exterior doorway.

Despite the Gellar Field which protects the ship, the nightmarish light which suddenly spills through the porthole is still enough to drive a mortal man mad in an instant. To look upon the raw Warp without a Navigator's gift is to know horror unbound, to behold something so violently opposed to reality that it cannot be understood. No ordinary man - not even the most powerful psyker - could withstand it and survive intact.

And yet he stands. Even as his shadow lengths, twisted and dancing beneath the lurid light of the Warp, he stands unbroken before the infinite nightmare. The eye with which he peers out into the darkness glows now, burning pure white like the heart of a raging inferno.

“I've won,” Weiss hisses triumphantly, his hand tightening to a fist around his rosette, “I've won.”
Claw
GM

Previous

Return to The Archive