Welcome
Welcome to dhmementomori

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Briefing - Case IV: No Rest For The Wicked

OOC Chat About The Game.

Re: Briefing - Case IV: No Rest For The Wicked

Postby Claw » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Well, just to be clear, what I really saying - if you read between the lines - is that the rift won't suddenly suck the entire planet into the warp without a player standing next to it, because that wouldn't be very cinematic. Will the situation get worse the longer you take? Yeah, but you won't hit an unfixable scenario because you were off doing something else. Going with the Yeomanry is effectively saying you can't think of anything else to add to help you, so it'll just get the ball rolling based on what you already have; ie you'll be working on making the best of your current ideas rather than running down new ones.
Claw
GM

Postby inquisitor faust » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Librarian Astelan wrote:Hey Faust,

I appreciate the post you put in. Especially since you're low on time.

No, we're all counting on Claw to pick up the pieces where Red let them fall, so I'm not gonna put Lars on that assignment. IC Lars has no reason whatsoever to take over from Gyges.

I'm not talking about the full investment of walking up to them. Less than a pargraph of going 'Hey Oakhurst, you remember that jammer-proof frequency I told you about? Have an astropath send it to the Space Marine ship in orbit. will get me to shut up about this, because if that doesn't get things moving in a positive direction I agree with letting Red's ghost deal with it.

But either way, it would mean Lars needs a way to get the voidship out of the way (or be able to threaten them). I've been thinking about ways to do so, but none of them seem viable.

* Bombing it from orbit: apparently not so easy.

From orbit? Yeah. But if they have a squadron of basilisks at one of the bases, you might be able to go in as a spotter and relay targetting data to the Aventine forces still at one of the bases, just like you did when the Venator first appeared. Less Valkyrie and more special forces. This might be more in the style of Photep's character than Lars though. I'm not sure when he is in time? Somewhen between Gregor and Lars I expect. Pho also seems to be headed through the crowds towards the army of mercenaries, so I think he's going to be in my climax and not yours? We'll see where he goes when he gets that far.

* Dropping another void ship on it - kamikaze style: not so good for the space port & have to find a captain crazy enough to give up his ship.
* Using a tech virus to drop it out of the sky: No virus available.
* Getting a flock of birds into the air intakes of the engines: No trained birds available
* Blowing up the space port so that there's nothing left to block for the Venator: great, but defeats the purpose of getting the ship out of the way.

So, individually these won't work, but when the two bolded ones were right next to each-other, the mean and nasty part of my brain got an evil idea. You may not have a lot of trained birds around, but you know what they have stockpiled at Highgate? A fleet of hovercars. Issue a call for volunteers. Have them drive over to one of the fortresses and load up on demolition charges, and brief them on where to ram the Venator. Most of them won't get through, but there are a LOT of hover cars, and only one of them needs to get lucky...

Kamikaze tactics are ugly and nasty, but it's a mean galaxy, ya know? I totally respect if you don't want to take Lars in that direction, but it is an idea so I'm putting it on the table for you to consider.

Also, it would still mean Lars needs to find other astropaths.

Bleak Isle is several hours away by air. I'm working under the assumption that every hour counts. Perhaps even every quarter of an hour.

Agreed. I don't mean an in person visit. I mean a phone call to someone who knows their Gak.

Yeah, not really realistic is it :) Like it though.

It's unlikely to work with just a question, but it takes less than a paragraph to suggest to Oakhurst [b]'The Mechanicus around here are really puritan and worried about warp taint, so maybe they have a helpful machine we can ask about?' If they say no, you have wasted all of 5 minutes. If they say yes then interesting possibilities open up. You can also ask questions about warp-capable ships that are atmosphere or landing capable since anything that has a warp-engine MUST carry a Gellar field that can be supercharged in such a way.

I mean, none of the things I'm throwing out here can be done without effort of some level, but asking a question to get the ball rolling will open up doors, if you see what I mean.
Gregor Undhart ― WS: 31 BS: 28 Str: 31 T: 22 Ag: 35 Int: 28 Per: 40 WP: 40 Fel: 40 Ifl: 57
Wounds:14/14 Fate:3/5 Fatigue:1
equipment
Alphis Tunter WS: 26 BS: 40 Str: 27 T:30 Ag: 38 Int: 50 Per: 42 WP: 20 Fel: 26 Ifl: 36
Wounds: X/13 Fate: X/2 Fatigue:X
equipment
inquisitor faust
Player

Postby Talon of Anathrax » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Very good points. And the hovercar plan made me chuckle.

"For the Emperor! I want to stab them with my front bumper sticker!"
Spring ― Shrine World ― Mutant ― Assassin (Equipment)
WS: 45 BS: 25 Str: 35 T: 35 Ag: 50 Int: 25 Per: 20 WP: 50 Fel: 30 Ifl: 34 IsP: 0 CP: 10
Wounds: 12/12 Fate Points: 3/4
Talon of Anathrax
Player

Postby inquisitor faust » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 am

So the three options I am toying with are either hit the gas and run, go out with Rothe, or go out solo and have Rothe stay to make sure Conner doesn't ditch us. I am hoping whatever Rothe can tell me about his history with Doll will make that decision easier.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
Gregor Undhart ― WS: 31 BS: 28 Str: 31 T: 22 Ag: 35 Int: 28 Per: 40 WP: 40 Fel: 40 Ifl: 57
equipment
Alphis Tunter WS: 26 BS: 40 Str: 27 T:30 Ag: 38 Int: 50 Per: 42 WP: 20 Fel: 26 Ifl: 36
equipment
inquisitor faust
Player

Postby Talon of Anathrax » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:12 am

My gut tells me that going with Rothe is the best option. On the other hand I haven't been keeping up with your thread perfectly, so I may well have forgotten something important...
Spring ― Shrine World ― Mutant ― Assassin (Equipment)
WS: 45 BS: 25 Str: 35 T: 35 Ag: 50 Int: 25 Per: 20 WP: 50 Fel: 30 Ifl: 34 IsP: 0 CP: 10
Wounds: 12/12 Fate Points: 3/4
Talon of Anathrax
Player

Postby Photep » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 am

Claw, although you said spotting is an half action I am taking a Full Action to do it now for a more thorough inspection. Should you decide this will have no additional beneficial effect, I will change it to an Half Action Scrutiny and an Half Action for moving out line of sight.
Drago ― Hive World ― Imperial Guard ― Assassin
WS: 25 BS: 50 Str: 25 T: 30 Ag: 50 Int: 35 Per: 50 WP: 30 Fel: 25 Ifl: 46
Wounds: 13/13 Fate Points: 0/3 Insanity: 11 Corruption: 3
Equipment
Photep
Player

Postby Librarian Astelan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 am

So, are you saying that finding Seps-Seps is another way to this problem? How far out is the CnC-center from Highgate? You said earlier that the Warp gate isn't going to explode unless a PC is present, but still, I'd like to work against the clock.

And if I should find Seps-Seps in a reasonable state of health, isn't his base of operations been blown to smithereens? Even if he has a grand idea to close the gate with tech, wouldn't the necessary tech be laying around broken? Or does Highgate have tech-supplies that could be flown in.

So far I'm thinking about:

* Getting the list from Oakhurst with the other choirs & get those to the rift.
* Getting Seps-Seps to assist Lars in a tech solution to close the rift.

I've discarded these options:

* Taking out the Venator with bombardments (both artillery or orbital strikes) -> Oakhurst thought about these herself and I believe that there are better military minds in High Command to deal with the Venator than Lars'.
* Taking out the Venator with hovercar-splosives -> Because it's crazy & not really Lars' style. Also, I'm pretty sure its voidshields would block out any hovercar surviving the AA-Flak of the thing.
* Contacting Weiss directly -> Because it would make for bad gameplay & I figure it isn't really an option for Claw.

Also Claw. If Lars would get a long range vox caster (or a trooper carrying one). Could he remain in contact with Oakhurst when he's out in the field? Or better yet, could he contact Spring? The problem I see with contacting other acolytes is that they are vastly behind in time relative to Lars.

inquisitor faust wrote:So the three options I am toying with are either hit the gas and run, go out with Rothe, or go out solo and have Rothe stay to make sure Conner doesn't ditch us. I am hoping whatever Rothe can tell me about his history with Doll will make that decision easier.

I'd say you try to avoid Doll. Make that your top 1 priority.
WS: 25 | BS: 42 | S: 25 | T: 40 | Ag: 35 | Int: 35 | Per: 38 | WP: 30 | Fel: 40 | Ifl: 43

Wounds 13/13 | Fate 0/4
Goodwyn Boltgun 12/12 & Scrambler 12/12
Garm Boltpistol 8/8
Pugnatis Autopistol 18/18
Librarian Astelan
Player

Postby inquisitor faust » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 am

Librarian Astelan wrote:So, are you saying that finding Seps-Seps is another way to this problem? How far out is the CnC-center from Highgate? You said earlier that the Warp gate isn't going to explode unless a PC is present, but still, I'd like to work against the clock.

And if I should find Seps-Seps in a reasonable state of health, isn't his base of operations been blown to smithereens? Even if he has a grand idea to close the gate with tech, wouldn't the necessary tech be laying around broken? Or does Highgate have tech-supplies that could be flown in.

So far I'm thinking about:

* Getting the list from Oakhurst with the other choirs & get those to the rift.
* Getting Seps-Seps to assist Lars in a tech solution to close the rift.

I think the second one is a lot more productive. Oakhurst can use a vox to ask pirates to send their astropaths to help just as well as you. A law man isn't exactly going to be a popular figure with them. On the other hand, bringing a tech solution in to play is an unconventional solution and getting it set up is a worthwhile use of Acolyte time.

But I'm not sure how viable rescuing Seps is as a path to that. Lars was there when the control center went down, after all. He was supposed to come behind you and never came out. The impression at the time was that he stayed too long shutting stuff off, and Sparrow killed him. I think Sparrow reported him killed to the badguys as well, although IC Lars wouldn't know that.

So, if you want to try to poke around the secret sewer exit you used to see if you can find some sign of him to rescue that might work theoretically. The other angle is that as an Inquisition agent Lars might have a better chance of badgering the puritans into producing something useful than the local officials.

Librarian Astelan wrote:I'd say you try to avoid Doll. Make that your top 1 priority.

So you think she's specifically hunting Gregor and/or Rothe?
equipment
equipment
inquisitor faust
Player

Postby Librarian Astelan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am

I think she might not be hunting Gregor or Rothe specifically, but anyone that had ties with Weiss.

I'm assuming she was somehow badgered into following Weiss. Even if Rothe is right and Weiss saved her, a life debt might be something she respected and acted according to, but she didn't have to like it. And with Weiss out of the picture, her life debt might be at an end.

The alternative - having a beef with someone within the Ecclesiarch and trying to provoke him/her - seems far off. She has no connection to anyone inside the temple (as far as we know).
WS: 25 | BS: 42 | S: 25 | T: 40 | Ag: 35 | Int: 35 | Per: 38 | WP: 30 | Fel: 40 | Ifl: 43

Wounds 13/13 | Fate 0/4
Goodwyn Boltgun 12/12 & Scrambler 12/12
Garm Boltpistol 8/8
Pugnatis Autopistol 18/18
Librarian Astelan
Player

Postby inquisitor faust » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 am

Mmm, if that was the case then Karis and Ture would be really really unhappy right now. She walked right past Karis after she was released, remember?

But I have another idea that Gregor is going to voice in the thread.
equipment
equipment
inquisitor faust
Player

PreviousNext

Return to Game Chat